Strengthen water quality monitoring in the Yangtze River Economic Belt
Water environment quality is the top priority in the development of the Yangtze River Economic Belt. According to the latest monitoring results, the overall water quality of the Yangtze River Economic Belt is better than the national average. From January to April 2018, the overall water quality in the Yangtze River Economic Belt was good. Among the 943 assessment sections in 11 provinces, 72.4% of them met Grade I-III, 24.1% met Grade IV-V, and 3.5% fell below Grade V. Liu Zhiquan said that for the water quality monitoring work in the Yangtze River Economic Belt, the next step will be to strengthen the construction of water quality assessment sections. Before the end of July 2018, the Ministry of Environment will complete the construction of automatic water quality stations for 943 national assessment sections in the Yangtze River Economic Belt. The automatic monitoring includes 9 indicators, plus some characteristic indicators. At the same time, actively promote the interconnection and sharing of monitoring data with the provincial and municipal surface water quality automatic stations in the Yangtze River Economic Belt. On May 31, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment held a monthly regular press conference and released the '2017 China's Ecological and Environmental Status Bulletin' (hereinafter referred to as the 'Gazette'). The 'Gazette' shows that among the 338 cities at the prefecture level and above, 239 cities' ambient air quality exceeds the standard, accounting for 70.7%. The average proportion of days exceeding the standard was 22.0%. The average concentration of PM2.5 decreased by 6.5% compared with 2016. It is worth noting that in terms of groundwater environment, among the 5,100 water quality monitoring points, poor and extremely poor points accounted for 51.8% and 14.8% respectively, a total of 66.6%. In addition, Liu Zhiquan, director of the Environmental Monitoring Department of the Ministry of Ecology and Environment, said in response to a reporter from the 'Daily Economic News' that from January to April 2018, the overall water quality in the Yangtze River Economic Belt was good, and the Ministry of the Environment is working hard to prepare a plan for the protection and restoration of the Yangtze River.